- InterIslander ferry one-way ticket
- Ferry from Wellington to Picton across Cook Strait
- View the North Island, South Island and Queen Charlotte Sound
- Daily ferry services provided
Departure & Return
Interislander Ferry Terminal - 1 Aotea Quay, Pipitea, Wellington
What To Expect
Experience the dramatic beauty of the region steeped in forest-clad hills, and view both islands from the ferry deck. Snap photos of the Kaikoura Ranges and search the sparkling waters for marine life such as seabirds, dolphins, seals, whales and orcas.
Upon reaching Picton, disembark at this South Island hub, gateway to the Marlborough region.
Note: This InterIslander ferry option does not allow travel with your vehicle.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Apart from designated areas, smoking is not permitted inside the ship.
- The InterIslander fleet has 3 vessels: The Kaitaki (carrying up to 1600 passengers), The Aratere (carrying up to 350 passengers) and the Kaiarahi (carrying up to 550 passengers).
- From Picton, some InterIslander ferry sailing's connect with the Coastal Pacific train service to Kaikoura and Christchurch.
- Check in at the terminal at least 45 minutes prior to departure time
- Cafes and a food court
- Fast-food takeaway bar
- Shop for travel needs, souvenirs, magazines and confectionery
- Movie theater (on selected ships)
- Video games parlor
- Lounge and tavern bar
- Observation deck
- Children's play area and nursery
- During off-peak sailing's, some facilities are only open for a limited time
- Surcharge applies to additional services including extra luggage, large sporting equipment, traveling with pets. The option of carrying additional bicycles and sporting gear (for example, canoes or surfboards), is an additional cost per item. If you are traveling with dogs, kennels are provided at an extra cost, ensuring your pet's comfort and safety, and your peace of mind. There are a limited number of kennels available.
- The luggage allowance is two (2) items of baggage per person. Additional baggage items may be carried, subject to availability and on the payment of an additional charge. Larger baggage, including backpacks, must be checked in at the Wellington terminal. Baggage can then be collected from the carousels at the port of arrival. InterIslander will not accept individual baggage items which exceed either 32 kilograms in weight, or 200 linear centimeters (height and length and width) in dimension. For safety reasons, there are no exceptions to the weight restriction. However, the restriction in dimension is relaxed for sporting equipment.
- Infants aged 1 year and under travel free of charge.
- Children aged 2 to 14 years inclusive qualify for the child rate.
- Youths aged 18 years and under are not permitted to travel in the Plus Lounge.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Interislander
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use