- Visit the Hobbiton movie set on a shore excursion from Tauranga
- Listen as your knowledgeable guide shares insider tales about the making of LOTR
- Walk to the waterfalls, and dress up as your favorite LOTR character during a stop at McLaren Falls Park
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
Out side port of Tauranga main pedestrian gate on the corner of Salisbury Avenue and the Mall, under the flagpole.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Departing the Bay of Plenty over the Tauranga Harbour Bridge, you’ll journey through the Kaimai mountain range before your group arrives at your Waikato destination near the town of Matamata.
Meet a specialized guide for a tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set, which provides an up-close look behind the scenes of director Peter Jackson’s famous film trilogies. LOTR fans can crouch in front of hobbit holes for photo ops and see structures such as the double-arched bridge, the Mill and the party tree, where Bilbo had his farewell birthday party.
Walk to the Green Dragon Inn, sip a complimentary local ale, cider or ginger beer.
After your meal, leave Hobbiton behind and make a stop at McLaren Falls Park for a bush walk to its namesake waterfalls. Here, your guide provides cloaks, hats and swords so you can dress up as your favorite character from The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, posing for photos against this scenic backdrop.
On the way back to the Tauranga port, make a quick stop to taste New Zealand manuka honey, try local ice cream or stop at a beach, if time permits.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:We will ensure your timely return to the Tauranga port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes
- Please bring sun protection and a light jacket for cooler weather
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- OPERATED BY Zealandier Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "Don't go all the way to New Zealand and miss seeing Hobbiton." See review
- "This tour was just fantastic, great experience walking around amongst the hobbit homes and getting close up to their little world, its really beneficial to have an knowledgeable guide when going through the village." See review
- "we have used Viator on many occasions and every trip has been both informative and enjoyable We recommend them to you." See review