- Skip the line outside the Colosseum with your priority-entrance ticket
- Walk around the first and second tiers of the Colosseum, hearing its history from your guide
- Explore the Roman Forum, seeing the House of the Vestal Virgins and walking along Via Sacre
- Upgrade and gain access the Colosseum’s arena floor, underground chambers and third tier
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Meet your guide at Largo Gaetana Agnesi, above the 2nd floor of the metro line B (blue line) stop "Colosseo". Your guide coordinator will be waiting here wearing a blue City Wonders polo shirt or jacket for easy recognition.
The tour commences on the platform directly in front of Trajan’s Column. Trajan’s Column is located on Via dei Fori Imperiali next to Piazza Venezia. When standing right in front and facing the Victor Emmanuel II Monument (a.k.a. the “Wedding Cake), it’s directly to the left across the street.
What To Expect
Next, exit the Colosseum and walk over to the Roman Forum, once the political heart of the city. Get an up-close view of ancient remains like the House of the Vestal Virgins and the Temple of Julius Caesar, and then walk up Palatine Hill for another perspective of the ruins, including Circus Maximus, where chariot races once took place. Your tour ends here, from where you can continue exploring on your own.
Optional upgrade to the Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour: Underground Chambers, Arena and Upper Tier (3.5 hours)
For a more thorough exploration of the Colosseum, select the upgrade option when booking for a tour that includes access to the third tier, the arena floor and the underground chambers—sections of the Colosseum that are either newly opened or typically closed to the general public. You’ll see more than most visitors do.
Walk around the reconstructed floor of the arena, where the gladiators once dueled in bloody battles, and look down through the gaps into the underground chambers. Then make your way below ground to explore the chambers themselves, checking out pits where wild animals like tigers and lions were held, before heading up to the third tier for a panoramic view into the Colosseum and out to Palatine Hill. Your tour ends with a visit to the Roman Forum, as described in the standard tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Avoid bringing large purses, bags, or backpacks on your tour
- Italy’s tourist sites are among the most popular in the world. Skip the Line Access and careful planning limit our crowd exposure, but please be aware that some locations may be unavoidably busy during standard hours.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- OPERATED BY City Wonders Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- "Book early in the day if travelling in summer as the temperatures rise, and often little shade." See review
- "be aware that it is very hot during the summer time, take lots of water." See review
- "Highly recommended, and plan to stay in the Forum and Palatine Hill after the tour ends, so bring snacks and water!" See review