- Guided walking tour of Prague Castle and Castle District
- Visit the vast, walled complex, the world’s largest ancient castle
- Admire Golden Lane, whose tiny cottages once housed castle archers and writer Franz Kafka
- Walk through Malá Strana, with its Renaissance palaces and Baroque St Nicholas Church
- Ride a tram to the castle and admire the city panoramas from the hilltop
- Learn all about Prague’s ancient and medieval history from an expert guide
Departure & Return
Your Tour starts in front of Rudolfinum, near the Jan Palach Square. Just look for the team with the red SANDEMANs NEW Europe umbrella!
What To Expect
Stroll across the beautiful Vltava River and admire the panoramic views of the UNESCO-listed Prague Castle complex from the riverside. Learn how this architectural tour-de-force is the world’s largest self-contained castle complex, and was once the power base of Bohemia’s kings, Holy Roman Emperors and Czechoslovakia’s presidents.
Climb the hillside as your guide describes the events and people that shaped Prague’s fortunes through the ages, and how the castle dates back to the 9th century.
Delve into Malá Strana, the Baroque district spread beneath the walls. Pose for photos outside the 18th-century St Nicholas Church and World War II memorial, and then catch a tram (own cost) to the castle.
Enter the complex through the North Gate and admire the Royal Gardens and Powder Bridge on route to Hradčany Square. Here, take in the handsome Schwarzenberg Palace and statue of Czechoslovakia’s first president, Tomas Masaryks.
Continue through the Neo-Classical Second Courtyard into the Third Courtyard, the latter dominated by St Vitus Cathedral, one of Europe’s largest churches.
Follow your guide inside to gaze at the magnificent interior, and then pass the Golden Gate, Vladislav Hall and St George’s Basilica on your way to Golden Lane. This picturebook cobblestoned alley is lined with colorful cottages that once housed servants, fusiliers and goldsmiths, and was also home to the great Czech-Jewish writer Franz Kafka between 1916 and 1917.
Delve into the dwellings, some converted into fascinating museums and others into arty souvenir and craft shops.
Finally, leave the castle and stop on the hillside to snap photos of Prague spread below. Your tour then finishes here or at the Charles Bridge.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Children up to 13 years old are welcome to join this tour for free but they will also need a transportation ticket. We reserve the right to ask for a valid ID for children joining our tours.
- It is necessary to purchase a one-way tram ticket (approx. 24 CZK). We kindly ask you to purchase it in advance to ensure that the tour runs smoothly. Tickets are sold through yellow vending machines at metro stations, at ticket offices located at some metro stations, at some newsstands and at tourist information centres.
- The independent guides who employ us to market their tours have your best interests in mind; while the tour usually includes the sites & stories mentioned and lasts about 3 hours, your tour may vary depending on what your guide thinks is best for your group.
- Please note that we won't visit St. Vitus's Cathedral during the tour as exhibitions and indoor areas at Prague Castle are closed due to coronavirus. Thanks for your understanding.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- OPERATED BY Sandemans New Europe Ltd - Corporate Account
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience