- Full-day private tour of Porto including port tasting
- Admire views of pretty beaches and the traditional fishing city of Matosinhos
- Taste three different styles of port at a port wine cellar
- Visit key sights including Clérigos Tower, Livraria Lello bookshop and Porto Cathedral (Sé do Porto)
- Explore the historical neighborhood of Ribeira
- Upgrade to include a 1-hour Douro River sightseeing cruise on a traditional rabelo boat
- Enjoy a flexible itinerary and personalized attention from a private guide
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Pick ups at hotels in Porto city center
What To Expect
Cruise along northern Portugal’s coast and pass Matosinhos, a charming coastal city, known widely for its flavorful seafood. As you approach Vila Nova de Gaia, the primary production center of Port (fortified wine), enjoy views of the Douro River which is famous for transporting grapes to the region’s numerous wine cellars.
Climb aboard a rabelo (if upgrade selected), a classic wine barrel cargo ship, and enjoy a splendid 1-hour ride along the tranquil Douro River. Notice Porto’s six bridges, in particular the metal double decker bridge called Ponte de Dom Luís I. Engineered by Gustave Eiffel’s protege, observe its striking similarity to Paris’ Eiffel tower.
Hop off your rabelo and stroll into a Port wine cellar for a one-of-a-kind tasting (included until 31st December 2017 only). As you sip white, ruby and tawny varietals, learn how each of these wines are enjoyed as aperitifs and digestifs. After the tasting, enjoy lunch at local restaurant (own expense). Your guide can offer recommendations at your request.
Next, cross the bridge back to Porto for an afternoon of the city’s best attractions. Climb up Clérigos Tower for some of Porto’s best vantage points. Then, resume your tour at Livraria Lello & Irmão, a remarkable Art Nouveau bookshop with a marvelous wooden staircase at its center. Observe the brilliant stain-glass ceilings as you hear how this library helped inspire J.K. Rowling to write Harry Potter.
Continue your Porto day trip at the 12th-century Porto Cathedral (Sé do Porto). Then, visit São Bento Train Station and see its tile panels depicting historical scenes of Portugal. Finally, enjoy the ambiance of Ribeira, the most historic quarter of Porto, and its charming square which is designated World Heritage by UNESCO.
As late afternoon approaches head back to your Porto hotel where your tour ends.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY The Cooltours (Oporto)
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Private Tour: Porto Day Trip.