- Full-day trip to Iztaccihuatl Volcano from Mexico City with an expert guide
- Drive through the picturesque Valley of Mexico and the Paso de Cortés
- See the ‘Sleeping Woman’ in the snowy peaks of the dormant volcano
- Hike an intermediate trail up the steep slopes of Iztaccihuatl Volcano
- Enjoy panoramic views of nearby Popocatepetl, ‘Smoking Mountain’
- Round-trip transport by comfortable car included
- Great for avid hikers and nature lovers
Departure & Return
Hotel NH Reforma Collection, 155 Liverpool St, Col. Juarez CDMXr at 06:20 a.m
Hostal Amigo, Isabel la catolica 61-A at 06:50 a.m
What To Expect
Start your hike up Iztaccihuatl Volcano, beginning at an elevation of 12,000 feet (3,700 meters). The volcano is also called ‘The Sleeping Woman’ or ‘White Woman’ for the four snow-covered peaks. While there are various trails ranging in difficulty, your guide will take up on an intermediate-level trail that both novices and those with more hiking experience will enjoy.
You may ascend as high as 13,800 to 15,800 feet (4,200-4,800 meters), depending on the members of your group, and reach tantalizingly near the snowcapped peaks and glaciers. After you catch your breath, admire views of the Valley of Mexico below, as well as the active volcano of Popocatepetl, aka ‘Smoking Mountain,’ located south of Iztaccihuatl.
Enjoy ample time at the summit to snap pictures and generally soak in the tranquility of the mountaintop. When you’re ready, make your descent and then board your transport to enjoy lunch (own expense) that may include options such as tamales, quesadillas, birria (spicy meat stew) or other tasty dishes. Arrive at your Mexico City hotel in the evening, with plenty of bragging rights to share.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Take into account that this tour implies a large amount of walking on irregular ground and it’s subject to the physical capacity of the overall group
- For your own safety, follow the guidance at all times, don’t separate from the group, and don’t forget to carry water and light snacks (such as chocolates, granola bars, seeds, etc) to recharge energies
- Wear appropriate gear to the mountain (tennis shoes and sandals, as well as flat-soled casual shoes or mules are not suitable for this activity)
- Wear long pants (Shorts are not suitable for this tour)
- The altitude can pose a problem for many people and a strong fitness level is required
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Note: This is not a professional tour, however it is recommended good physical condition for hiking.
- We do not provide hiking equipment
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Due to COVID restrictions we will only go up to 4280 mts.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Amigo Tours Mexico
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "Bring plenty of water and some snacks if you are the thirsty or hungry type!" See review
- "The hike can be challenging due to elevation but the scenery is totally worth it." See review
- "The altitude is high, so be aware of your limitations, but don't worry the guide Gerson is awesome and very professional." See review