- Half-day tour of Maligne Valley, from Jasper
- See the stunning limestone gorge and waterfalls in Maligne Canyon
- Find out from your expert guide why the Medicine Lake appears to vanish every year
- Choose from a boat cruise on Maligne Lake to Spirit Island or a short guided hike
- Look for abundant wildlife in Jasper National Park, including moose and wolves
- Enjoy several stops for short walks to stunning viewpoints and photo ops
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 10 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Start with a pickup from your Jasper hotel in the morning, traveling by air-conditioned coach with your guide into the beautiful surroundings of Jasper National Park. Make your visit stop of the day at Maligne Canyon, proceeding on an easy walk over two bridges that traverse 165-foot (50-meter) deep gorge etched into the area's limestone. Admire the incredible views as cascades of water pour into the canyon, and join your guide for a short explanation of the area’s wildlife and geology.
Board your coach and drive next to Medicine Lake, tracing the path of a scenic highway as it snakes through the nearby forests and mountains. Arrive at this beautiful alpine body of water, learning about its mysterious “disappearance” every summer, which is caused by the water’s retreat into an extensive network of underground karsts (among the biggest in the world).
Continue to Maligne Lake, taking time on its shores to enjoy a boat ride to the postcard-perfect Spirit Island or a nature walk along an easy trail. Those who select the hike trace the Mary Schaffer Loop trail, proceeding along the banks of Maligne Lake with a gorgeous lookout. The site offers a variety of benches and interpretive signage, allowing you to take a rest before continuing back to your starting point.
Those on the boat cruise climb aboard their vessel, complete with enclosed cabin and extra-large viewing windows, as they travel across this incredibly scenic body of water. Make a brief landing at the pine-tree covered Spirit Island, enjoying a chance to take a few photos and wander around before returning to the boat and back to shore.
As you proceed through the course of your day’s activities, listen to interesting commentary about the human and natural history of the region. Keep your eyes peeled for the abundant wildlife known to frequent the area, which includes caribou, wolves, deer, bear, bald eagles, osprey, bighorn sheep and moose.
Finish your day’s activity with a drop-off back at your Jasper hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Contents of tours may vary due to weather and road conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- OPERATED BY SunDog Tour Co
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "Booking this excursion was easy and the pick up at the hotel made things effortless." See review