- Private 10-hour Kaiping, Zili, and Chikan Old Town tour from Guangzhou
- See Kaiping’s multi-story watchtowers (diaolous) in the fields and villages
- Stop at Zili village to visit some of the towers
- Explore the Liyuan Garden and Chikan Old Town, with its 1920s Western-inspired houses
- Lunch and entrance fees, plus private transport and hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Personalized attention from a private guide
Departure & Return
What To Expect
The oldest of these unique, castle-like towers date from the Ming dynasty era between the 14th and 17th centuries, and take three forms: communal refuges built by several families, residential fortresses constructed by individual families, and watchtowers for alerting locals to encroaching bandits.
After about two hours on the road, arrive in the village of Zili, home to some of the most striking watchtowers, including some built by returning Chinese migrants who incorporated Western-inspired features in their design. Inspect the different styles of the towers close up, and head inside to absorb the interiors and bird’s-eye views from the rooftops.
Explore Kaiping’s elegant Liyuan Garden, also known as Li Garden: a stately blend of Chinese and Western architectural and landscaping influences. Meander around the exquisite gardens, seeing highlights like the birdcage-shaped pavilion, watchtowers, bridges and canals.
Break for lunch at a local restaurant, and then continue to the Old Town at Chikan, famous for its faded Western-style watchtowers and buildings designed by local migrants who returned here in the 1920s. Admire the imposing riverfront houses adorned with Western features like columns and balconies, and learn how the unusual, east-meets-west architecture has drawn many movie producers to film here.
Afterward, relax on your journey back to Guangzhou, where a hotel drop-off brings your tour to a close.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY SilkRoadTrips
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "It is a longish drive from the city on highways, but the drive goes quickly and you get to see some rolling hills and greenery - the toughest part is getting out of Guangzhou and back in (city traffic)!" See review