- Delve into 'Outlander' settings Blackness Castle, Linlithgow Castle, Midhope Castle, and Callendar House
- Explore the village of Culcross, aka Cranesmuir
- Hear insider stories about characters and filming from your informative guide
- Round-trip transport from Edinburgh ensures a hassle-free experience
Departure & Return
From outside the Ensign Ewart pub
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Learn about Outlander, the historical time-travel TV series based on Diana Gabaldon’s stories, and hear trivia about its characters and Scotland’s history.
Stop for photos at 16th-century Midhope Castle, used as Lallybroch Castle, and visit Blackness Castle, the 15th-century fortress that doubled as Black Jack’s headquarters.
Explore the castle (own expense), seeing why it’s called 'the ship that never sailed,’ before traveling to Linlithgow. Take a stroll around this small town or visit ruined Linlithgow Palace, the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots, and setting of Wentworth Prison, where Jamie was imprisoned.
Continue to Callendar House, enjoying about 45 minutes to explore this 14th-century mansion-turned-museum, whose kitchen served as the Duke of Sandringham's house. Then, visit the village of Culross whose medieval houses perfectly illustrate 18th-century Scotland, and see Mercat Cross, used as fictional Cranesmuir.
View the Culross Palace gardens, home of Claire’s herb garden, and after refreshments (own expense) at the Biscuit Café, take photos of the Tuileries standing stones (time-dependent).
Finally, visit 17th-century Hopetoun House, admiring its interior and grounds, which starred as the Duke of Sandringham’s residence, before finishing at the start point in Edinburgh.
Please note: Blackness Castle is closed on Fridays from October 1, 2017 through to March 31, 2018. The tour will include a photo stop at the castle during this period.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or a full refund
- The palace and 2 castles currently need to be pre-booked, details will be provided on the ticket.
- Midhope Castle (Apr-Sep only)
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- OPERATED BY Timberbush Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by The Outlander, Palaces & Jacobites Experience from Edinburgh.