- Historical walking tour of Edinburgh Old Town
- Idea for first-time visitors and history enthusiasts
- Explore Edinburgh's UNESCO-listed Old Town
- Visit three former execution sites and stand on the site of the infamous Tolbooth Prison
- Listen to stories about famous Scots including Robert Burns and Mary Queen of Scots
Departure & Return
Just inside the main entrance, next to the grave of Greyfriars Bobby (the pink headstone which you see as soon as you enter the Kirkyard). Greyfriars Kirkyard, Candlemaker Row, EH1 2QQ
We usually end this tour on South Bridge, ten minutes from our starting point at Greyfriars.
What To Expect
Delve into the capital’s gory past on a visit to three former execution spots and the site of the notorious Tolbooth Prison, the scene of Scotland’s most infamous assassination. See, too, Edinburgh Castle from its hilltop perch, and listen to stories featuring some of Scotland’s most famous figures: Mary Queen of Scots, Bonnie Prince Charlie, and Robert Burns all feature.
Following your exploration, bid your guide farewell outside the gate of Greyfriars Kirkyard.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Historic Edinburgh Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands