- Helicopter tour of the Big Island from Kona
- Toast your adventure with Champagne before take-off
- Admire amazing aerial views of the Big Island’s beaches, mountains, and rainforests
- Look down in wonder on Mauna Loa and Kilauea volcanoes
- Watch the famous Hawaiian sunset as you fly above the island’s west coast
- Helicopter is limited to just six guests, providing a small-group experience
- This thrilling Viator exclusive is available nowhere else
- HAI and ISBAO safety certified operator
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your tour begins as you soar above fields of jet-black lava outside Kona, which are punctuated by hidden, white beaches and impressively turquoise coves. Watch as the lava rock changes to pastures on the slopes of southern Kohala, which then give way to the verdant rainforest of the Hamakua Coast. Soar above valleys that once housed kings and are now only accessible by air, before flying past snowcapped Mauna Kea en route to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and famous Kilauea volcano. Since the sun will have faded behind the mountains by your arrival at Kilauea, you can make out the eerie, orange glow of Halema‘uma‘u Crater, which houses a bubbling lava lake a few feet below the surface.
As you fly south towards the island’s southern tip, your pilot talks with you via 2-way headset about Big Island history and legends, before soaring over the black-sand beaches of Punalu’u Beach Park. You’ll also get views of Papakolea, the famous green beach, before circling back north above the city of refuge at Pu’uhonua o Honaunau. By the time you fly over Kealakekua Bay, where Captain Cook was infamously killed in a skirmish with native Hawaiians, the sun will be setting on the western horizon and igniting a fire in the sky; it's an experience and a moment that’s completely amplified from hundreds of feet in the air. Who knows? From your vantage point, there’s even the chance you could see the 'green flash' when the sun finally fades out of view.
Finally, this spectacular Big Island helicopter tour lands back at the Kona airport, where you’re comfortably transferred back to your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 6 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own caregiver
- Due to the current social distancing requirements for the state of Hawai'i, face masks are required for the duration of the flight
- Helicopter holds 6 passengers; larger groups may be separated
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Learn about our elevated health & safety protocol to help observe the COVID-related requirements of social distancing and sanitization
- A visitor who has either quarantined for 10 days (showing an airline ticket with an arrival date 10 days prior to flight), or who can show that the pre-testing travel program accepted a negative test result from them.
- A resident who has been on island for at least 10 days or who has had a negative COVID-19 test in the past 72 hours.
- All guests weighing between 265 lbs – 300 lbs when weighed at check-in, will be assessed a Capacity Surcharge of $50 on our Hughes/MD 500 helicopter or $100 on our Bell 407 helicopter. They will be guaranteed a window seat.
- We require that any guests weighing 300 lbs. or more purchase an additional empty seat to safely balance the aircraft. Upon check-in, we will weigh all passengers. They will be guaranteed a window seat.
- Most travelers can participate
- Seating is assigned based on weight and balance following guidelines which have been approved by the FAA. We cannot guarantee seats as the weight of guests must be balanced within the aircraft.
- A seat upgrade is not a guarantee; however, if you purchase a co-pilot and/or window seat upgrades, we will do our best to seat you in your purchased location. If we cannot accomodate a seat upgrade due to weight and balance requirements for your flight (or for any other reason), we will refund your upgrade purchase at check-in.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Paradise Helicopters
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Helicopter Sunset Experience Tour from Kona.