Explore our promoted experiences
- Enjoy frozen beauty of the Johnston Canyon Icewalk®
- Look out for the various types of wildlife which inhabit the area
- Learn about the history and geology of the area from your knowledgeable guide
- Warm up with a cup of hot chocolate while you admire the views
Departure & Return
All guests must wait at the public bus parking located behind the Mount Royal Hotel at 138 Banff Ave. You must be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time. Our guide will be there within the 15 minute pick up window.
What To Expect
Your adventure is available in the morning or in the afternoon and begins with a pick up from Banff. Then, venture out to Johnston Canyon to begin your hike. As you set out, keep an eye out for winter wildlife, and listen in as your guide shares details about the canyon’s history and geology.
Continuing on along the frozen path, you reach the canyon’s breathtaking lower and upper icefalls, trapped in beautiful layers of ice by the arctic air. Finish your invigorating walk through this icy environment with a warm cup of hot chocolate and a snack before heading back to Banff.
Note: The return distance of the hike is about 3.4 miles (5.4 kilometers), and elevation gain is 443 feet (135 meters).
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Discover Banff Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "I would highly recommend the guided tour as you learn all the facts and history of the canyon and the Bow Valley Parkway." See review