Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Swim with the rare and beautiful wild Hector's dolphins in a protected harbor
- Enjoy a cruise by a heated jet powered catamaran
- Receive a briefing on how to interact with the dolphins before swimming with these marine mammals
- Includes wetsuit, mask, hot shower, and hot beverage
- Small and intimate experience, only 12 swimmers permitted per vessel
Departure & Return
Departure Point: Akaroa's main wharf Dates: Daily Return point: Cruise returns to original point of departure
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your knowledgeable crew ensures your safety on a memorable dolphin swim during this excursion, popular due to the limited number of passengers permitted per departure (limited to 12). The covered vessel has no propellers, making it safer for you and the dolphins.
After your dolphin swim, you can warm up quickly in the heated cabin or take a hot shower, available onboard, and enjoy a warm beverage.
This tour operator was the first cruise boat company in the world to get the coveted Green Globe 21, an international program to ensure best environmental practices.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not suitable for infants or children under 8
- Children between 8yrs and 12yrs must be accompanied by an adult swimmer.
- Children between 13yrs and 16yrs must be accompanied by an adult watcher.
- Please note to join this activity you need to be able to swim a minimum of 50 meters unaided and be confident in open sea conditions.
- Akaroa is ideally situated, only a 90 minute drive from Christchurch International Airport. You can either drive yourself or catch one of the shuttles, which operate daily between Christchurch city center and Akaroa.
- Dolphin Sightseeing Guarantee - In the event of “partial swim” (dolphins are viewed from the boat but swimmers do not get into the water; or swimmers do not get full interaction while in the water as determined by Black Cat skipper & crew) Black Cat will refund 25% of fare. If no dolphins are seen, Black Cat will refund 50% of fare.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Life jackets are not provided or used, if one is required this product is not suitable, please join our Akaroa Harbour Nature Cruise.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- You can only book to watch a swim when travelling with a swimmer
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Black Cat Cruises
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "Be prepared that you will likely be in the marine park area where the sea can be choppy rather than in calm, clear waters as in the picture." See review