World of James Herriot
A visit to the World of James Herriot makes an ideal half-day trip for families, animal lovers, and literature buffs. Check out the lifelike sculpture of Herriot (whose real name was Alfred Wight), and the collection of veterinary instruments. Or, marvel over costumes—and the Austin 7 car—from the BBC television adaptation of Herriot’s book All Creatures Great and Small.
Things to Know Before You Go
Discounted tickets are offered for families.
Last entry is an hour before closing, so plan accordingly.
Pick up souvenirs or copies of Herriot’s semiautobiographical novels at the World of James Herriot gift shop.
All areas of the museum, except the air raid shelter, are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
Braille guidebooks are available.
How to Get There
The World of James Herriot is a short walk from the Thirsk town center, in North Yorkshire. Easily accessible by vehicle from nearby towns such as York and Harrogate, the museum lies just off the A19 road. If traveling by train, get off at the Thirsk railway station and take a taxi to the museum.
When to Get There
The World of James Herriot is open year-round, except on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day. It’s busiest during school holidays.
Other Things to See and Do in North Yorkshire
Thirsk and the World of James Herriot are just two of North Yorkshire’s popular destinations. To extend your time in the region, visit the Viking city of York and check out York Castle Museum, York Minster, and the National Railway Museum. Or, head to the gothic seaside town of Whitby. Alternatively, join a comprehensive tour that stops by several of these attractions.
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in Flanders