York's Chocolate Story Tours and Activities
Some cities are built on industry, but few have the sweet distinction of being built on chocolate. York’s Chocolate Story, a three-story interactive museum, details the city’s 300-year relationship with the confection. Regularly-scheduled guided tours highlight the three major chocolate companies that got their start in York: Terry’s, Rowntree’s, and Craven’s, as well as some of the most popular creations to come out of York including the Chocolate Orange and Kit-Kat. The city’s industry sparked a love for the chocolate that ultimately enveloped the globe: a tin of Rowntree’s even traveled with Shackleton on his Antarctic voyage in 1908.
In addition to York’s history as a chocolate town, museum displays detail its origins in the far-flung jungles of Central America. Interactive exhibits illustrate the process of turning cacao beans into bars, candies, powders, and more. Sampling stations at the end of each section allow all visitors to taste freshly formed sweets, and onsite confectioners hold lessons in professional chocolate tasting, and even guide visitors in creating their own treat at the end of the tour. The museum also has a chocolate-themed café and gift shop.
York’s Chocolate Story is the culmination of York’s Chocolate Trail, a self-guided walking tour in York’s historic downtown that includes chocolate attractions — Terry’s Shop & Tea Room, Terry’s Mansion House, Rowntree Park, Goddards House and Gardens — and several chocolate-y dining locations.
Tours and Activities to Experience York's Chocolate Story
Frequently Asked Questions
- 24 Hour City Sightseeing and City Cruises York Ticket
- York's Chocolate Story Entrance Ticket and Guided Tour
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England