Beningbrough Hall Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Beningbrough Hall, an 18th-century former family home occupied by the Royal Air Force during World War II, is one of York’s most important historical highlights. Linger in front of the 100+ portraits that hang inside, courtesy of a partnership with the National Portrait Gallery. Then stroll through the gardens, where staff sometimes offer growing tips to interested visitors.
Beningbrough Hall has just about everything you need to enjoy a full day in the York countryside: an Italian-influenced baroque interior, an extensive portrait gallery, walled gardens full of flowers and vegetables, and on-site shops and restaurants. If you have limited time in York, however, consider purchasing a city pass, which typically includes free, flexible access to Beningbrough and other popular attractions.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Child-friendly services—such as play areas, toys, and interactive exhibits—abound, making Beningbrough Hall an ideal stop for families.
- Beningbrough Hall is largely accessible to travelers with mobility issues, although gravel and cobblestones may pose challenges.
How to Get There
On the outskirts of York, roughly 8 miles (13 kilometers) outside the city center, Beningbrough is easiest to get to by vehicle. Follow the A19 road north out of York and look for signposts. On-site parking is free. Bus routes toward Newton-on-Ouse also pass by Beningbrough, albeit infrequently.
When to Get There
The splendor of Beningbrough Hall is most apparent during the summer, when the gardens are at their best. Since much of the appeal lies within, though, the hall is a popular year-round destination. Major conservation work is scheduled at Beningbrough Hall through 2020, so verify the opening times before planning a visit.
York’s Stately Homes
If you haven’t quite gotten your fill of stately homes after stopping by Beningbrough Hall, York has plenty of others for you. Castle Howard—which, like Beningbrough, is sometimes included on city passes—is perhaps the most notable, although Goddards House and Gardens, former home of the family behind Terry’s Chocolate Orange, is a must for chocolate lovers.
Address: Beningbrough, North Yorkshire, York, United Kingdom YO30 1DD, England
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Beningbrough Hall
No results found!
Things to do near York
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Blackpool
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England