Things to Do in Washington DC This Summer
Warm weather energizes Washington DC during the summer months, with long days and plenty of sunshine that make it ideal for exploring. Here are a few ways to experience America’s charismatic capital city in summer, from museum hopping to cruises on the Potomac River.
- Enjoy the breeze on an open-air, hop-on hop-off bus or trolley as you check out the city’s highlights.
- Skip the heat of the day and take an evening tour of DC landmarks to see the monuments by moonlight.
- Splash into the Potomac River on a tour by amphibious vehicle.
- Zip between key spots on a Segway tour of DC highlights.
- See the Mount Vernon gardens in full bloom by booking a day trip from DC.
- Catch great views from the water aboard a Potomac River dinner or lunch cruise.
- Take advantage of cooler evening temperatures with an after-dark bike tour between top sights in DC.
- Visit the Smithsonian Museums for an afternoon in the air-conditioning.
- Explore the Washington Monument, using skip-the-line tickets to avoid waiting in the sun.
- Take a walking tour of Arlington National Cemetery, where summer brings a profusion of blooms.
9 Tours and Activities
- Washington DC Neighborhood Guide
- How to Experience Cherry Blossom Season in Washington DC
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Washington DC
- Washington DC Museum Guide
- Food Lover’s Guide to Washington DC
- How to Get Around in Washington DC
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Washington DC
- Things to Do in Washington DC This Summer