Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
The Hirshhorn Museum isn’t just about displaying art. It also hosts regular events and activities, such as educational events, free tours, lectures, and film screenings. Visitors who want a guided tour can join a docent and explore the museum while engaging in conversations about modern and contemporary art.
Visitors can also book a private tour of the sculpture garden or stop by on a hop-on hop-off bus tour. Alternatively, you can visit the museum and sculpture garden on a Segway, bike, or pedicab tour that also includes other National Mall museums and sights such as the United States Capitol and Lincoln Memorial.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The free museum and sculpture garden are a must-visit for modern art enthusiasts.
- You can explore the museum on your own or join a tour—no reservations needed.
- The site is wheelchair accessible and wheelchairs are available for guests.
- A museum cafe and store offer the chance to refuel and purchase art and souvenirs.
How to Get There
Centrally located on the National Mall, the museum can be reached on foot or bicycle from nearby attractions. If visiting from a different part of town, take the Metro (Green, Yellow, Orange, and Blue lines) to avoid traffic and finding parking. Get off at the L’Enfant Plaza stop. Alternately, take the DC Circulator Bus and get off at stop 14.
When to Get There
The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden is open every day of the year except December 25. Visit at 12:30pm for an in-depth tour or at 3:30pm for a shorter tour. Check the museum’s website in advance to see what exhibits and events are being hosted during your visit.
The Top Art Museums in Washington DC Washington DC is an excellent destination for art lovers who want to spend time exploring museums. On the National Mall, you can visit the National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian American Art Museum, National Portrait Gallery, and the National Museum of African Art. Leave the National Mall to discover the Renwick Gallery, Phillips Collection, and National Museum of Women in the Arts.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- U.S. Capitol
- United States Botanic Garden
- Ulysses S. Grant Memorial
- Capitol Hill
- Library of Congress
- National Museum of the American Indian
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Folger Shakespeare Library
- National Air and Space Museum
- Japanese American Memorial
- Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument
- National Gallery of Art
- National Mall
- National Postal Museum
- National Archives Museum