Set in Dupont Circle, the Heurich House Museum stands out amongst the surrounding mansions because of its architectural style—the “fireproof” building is made up of concrete and steel. The 31-room mansion was built for Heurich and his family, whose brewing company was at one time the largest employer in DC. Visitors can now take guided tours of the first three floors of the mansion and the carriage house exhibits. The museum also hosts Brewmaster Tours which include a local beer tasting along with your tour of the historic mansion.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The house is a must-visit for history buffs, architecture enthusiasts, and beer lovers.
- Tours are offered at set times and reservations are recommended.
- Mansion tours are wheelchair accessible.
- The museum hosts special events and is also available to book for private events.
How to Get There
Set on New Hampshire Avenue, the museum is conveniently located just one block from Dupont Circle’s central plaza and the Dupont Circle Metro Stop. Parking is limited so taking the Metrorail (Red Line) is recommended.
When to Get There
The museum is open Thursday through Saturday, offering tours at 11:30am, 1pm, and 2:30pm. You can also visit the museum’s public gardens Monday through Friday from 10am to 5pm. Check the museum’s online schedule for special events, Brewmaster Tours, and holiday closures.
Christkindlmarkt Holiday Artisan Market In honor of the artisan craftsmen who built the Heurich mansion in the 1890s, the Heurich House Museum hosts an annual local crafts market in the mansion’s garden. The museum works with local artists, entrepreneurs, and businesses throughout the year and each December vendors and shoppers come together for this festive German-style market. Throughout the festival, visitors can also see the mansion decked out in holiday garb.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York