Folger Shakespeare Library
Visitors to the Folger Shakespeare Library can join a docent-led tour of the exhibits, gardens, or special collections. By taking a guided tour you can hear behind-the-scenes stories about the museum’s founders—Henry Clay Folger and Emily Jordan Folger—who built the museum as a “gift to the American people.” You can also take a tour of the “reading rooms” where scholars from across the world are studying the museum’s expansive collections.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The library is a must-visit for Shakespeare fans.
- Drop-in tours are available but reservations are required for touring the reading room.
- The general public does not have access to the collections in the reading room—it is reserved for researchers.
- The library and tours are free and wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The best way to reach the Folger Shakespeare Library is by bus or Metrorail. The closest metro station is the Capitol South stop (Orange, Blue, and Silver lines). Metrobus routes 32, 34, 36, 96, and 97 all stop close to the library.
When to Get There
The library is open daily and walk-in tours are offered Monday–Saturday at 11am, 1pm, and 3pm, plus on Sunday at 12pm and 3pm. To attend a concert, play, family activity, or lecture, check the library’s website for details.
What to See on Capitol Hill The Folger Shakespeare Library is one of the many attractions that draw visitors to Washington DC’s Capitol Hill. While in the area, visitors should not miss the chance to tour the US Capitol Building, stand on the steps of the Supreme Court, explore the Library of Congress, and enjoy the US Botanic Garden.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Library of Congress
- Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument
- Capitol Hill
- U.S. Capitol
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Eastern Market
- Ulysses S. Grant Memorial
- Japanese American Memorial
- United States Botanic Garden
- National Postal Museum
- Union Station
- National Museum of the American Indian
- Washington DC Chinatown
- National Air and Space Museum