Meiji Jingu Stadium
Meiji Jingu Stadium is today home to the Tokyo Yakult Swallows professional baseball team, and also hosts college baseball matchups. If you have time to take in a game while in Tokyo, this is a great place to do it. Nearly every seat is close to the field and provides great views, and the Shinjuku skyline provides an atmospheric backdrop. Unlike in the U.S., a baseball game in Japan is a very colorful interactive occasion for fans, with organized chants, dancing, and cheerleaders.
Things to know before you go
- Meiji Jingu Stadium is a must-visit for sports fans and families.
- The baseball stadium is wheelchair-accessible.
- There are multiple food vendors in the stadium and roving beer-serving staff.
How to get there
You can reach the stadium via subway or train. If you're coming on the subway, Gaienmae Station on the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line is a 5-minute walk away, while Kokuritsu-Kyogijo Station on the Toei Subway Oedo Line is a 12-minute walk. You can also take the train and get off at JR Shinanomachi or JR Sendagaya stations, it’s a 15-minute walk from either station.
When to get there
If you want to catch a baseball game, check the schedule online and book tickets at the gate or in advance. If you want to be sure of getting your tickets in advance, you can purchase them at most convenience stores—if you don’t read Japanese, you might have to ask for help using the ticket vending machines.
The traditional way fans cheer for the Tokyo Yakult Swallows is to open their umbrellas and sing "Tokyo Ondo," a traditional festival song, when their team scores a run. So be sure to come prepared with an umbrella to wave along and cheer with the rest of the fans.
- Things to do in Kanto
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Narita
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Sapporo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Tokyo Prefecture
- Things to do in Saitama Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Chiba Prefecture
- Meiji Shrine (Meiji Jingu)
- Akasaka Palace (State Guest House)
- National Art Center Tokyo (NACT)
- Nezu Museum (Nezu Bijutsukan)
- 21_21 Design Sight
- Shinjuku Park (Shinjuku Gyoen)
- Tokyo Midtown
- Yoyogi Park (Yoyogi Koen)
- Tokyo City View Observation Deck (Tokyo Sky Deck)
- Mori Art Museum (Mori Bijutsukan)
- Roppongi Kaguwa Japanese Dance Cabaret