Great Smoky Mountains National Park
From chasing waterfalls to sleeping under the stars, Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers plenty of activities that please nature lovers. Take a guided hiking tour to top waterfalls and vista points, get onboard a white-water rafting trip on the Pigeon River, or learn about the area’s early settler culture on a historical Smoky Mountains tour. Or, take it easy and road trip the 400 miles (640 kilometers) of scenic drives through forests, meadows, and mountains. Popular park landmarks include Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome, Newfound Gap, and Laurel Falls.
Recent reviews from experiences in Tennessee
Things to Know Before You Go
Hiking trails range from easy to difficult; plan accordingly.
Multi-day hikes through the Great Smoky Mountains and backcountry camping are also popular.
This is a kid-friendly location that’s ideal for families.
Park entrance is free.
How to Get There
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is located on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina. Though there are several entrances, the two most popular are the Sugarlands entrance in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and the Oconaluftee entrance in Cherokee, North Carolina. Many visitors also choose to stay in Pigeon Forge, roughly 20 minutes from the park.
When to Get There
There are always parts of the park that are open to visitors 24 hours a day, though some areas are closed during the winter months. Visit during the fall for stunning fall foliage, or spring and summer for the nicest hiking weather.
The Appalachian Trail
The popular Appalachian Trail runs through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Though the total hike covers 2,180 miles (3,500 kilometers) from Georgia to Maine, Great Smoky Mountains National Park contains 71 miles, making for a memorable backcountry camping trip.
- Things to do in Nashville
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in Sapa
- Things to do in Chicago
- Things to do in Savannah
- Things to do in Missouri
- Things to do in Illinois
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in Minnesota
- Mysterious Mansion
- Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Gatlinburg
- Sweet Fanny Adams Theatre
- Wild Bear Falls Water Park
- The Coaster at Goats on the Roof
- Main Event Theater
- Red Skelton Tribute Theater
- Grand Majestic Dinner Theater
- Hollywood Wax Museum Entertainment Center Pigeon Forge
- Titanic Pigeon Forge
- Hard Rock Cafe Pigeon Forge
- NASCAR SpeedPark Smoky Mountains
- Foxfire Mountain Adventure Park