St Augustine Historic District
The heart of the district is St. George Street, a pedestrian-only promenade lined with historic architecture and specialty shops, galleries, and restaurants. Parts of St. Augustine’s downtown have been preserved as living museums, some with artifacts dating back to the 1500s. Check out the Fountain of Youth, a monument dedicated to Juan Ponce de León (who claimed Florida for Spain in 1513).
For a fun and funky peek into the city’s history, join an evening ghost tour, and explore downtown St. Augustine through the stories of its dearly departed.
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
Don’t forget a hat and sunscreen, as the sun can be intense in St. Augustine year-round.
Downtown is serviced by two wheelchair-accessible trolleys.
How to Get There
Downtown St. Augustine is pedestrian-friendly, and most of the historic sights can be seen on foot. As many of the streets are narrow and designed for foot traffic, parking in the historic district can be challenging—though you’ll find some public lots.
When to Get There
The best time to visit St. Augustine is between March and May, when temperatures are a bit cooler and tourists are fewer. If you’re there in summer or on a weekend, do your sightseeing early in the day to beat the crowds.
Architecture of the Downtown Historic District
St. Augustine is a study in 450 years of architectural history. Take a stroll through downtown, and you’ll see colonial and Renaissance revival facades, Florida-bungalow-style homes, Gilded Age mansions, Italian-inspired bridges, and Greek Renaissance fountains. Major architecture buffs shouldn’t miss the works commissioned by Henry Flagler, including Hotel Ponce de León and the Lightner Museum.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Gainesville
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Savannah
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Whetstone Chocolates of St. Augustine
- González-Alvarez House (Oldest House Museum Complex)
- Lightner Museum
- Flagler College
- Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Governor's House Cultural Center and Museum
- Father Miguel O'Reilly House Museum
- Spanish Military Hospital Museum
- Medieval Torture Museum
- Micro Masterpieces Art Gallery
- Oldest Wooden School House
- St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum
- Potter's Wax Museum
- Colonial Quarter
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument