Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
The temple occupies more than 21,500 square feet (2,000 square meters) and includes nine halls. It is dedicated to three local deities, or city gods—General Huo Guang, General Chen Huacheng, and scholar Qin Yubo—although there are statues of other Taoist deities as well. The temple is popular with visitors as well as locals, who come here to pray for good fortune or other favors.
The City God Temple is situated within a large pedestrian zone, along with Yuyuan Garden, Yuyuan Bazaar, and surrounding streets and markets. Many sightseeing tours stop here, along with other Shanghai highlights, such as the Bund, Nanjing Road, or Xintiandi. For a more customized experience, opt for a private guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
The temple is a must-see for visitors who are interested in history, architecture, or religion.
This is a place of worship, so visitors should be quiet and respectful.
The lively marketplace just outside the temple grounds can be extremely crowded.
How to Get There
The temple is located near Yuyuan Garden, in the Huangpu district. If you’re traveling by metro, take Line 10 to Yuyuan Garden Station and walk about 10 minutes. You can also take bus 64 or 715 and get off at Fuxingdonglu Guangqilu, or take bus 66, 306, 929, 969, or 980 and get off at Henannanlu Fuyoulu.
When to Get There
The temple is open year-round. It can be very busy on the weekends; visit during the week for smaller crowds. The most festive times to visit are during festivals times, such as the Sanxun Festival, Lantern Festival, or Double-Nine Festival.
Chenghuang Miao Food Street
The area around the temple is well-known for its cuisine, with numerous restaurants and food stalls serving local delicacies. Some of the most famous purveyors include Nanxing Steamed Buns, Lu Bo Lang Restaurant, Shanghai De Xing Guan, and Songyue Vegetarian Restaurant.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Jin Mao Tower
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- Xin Tian Di
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)