Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
An active house of worship as well as a historic landmark, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist welcomes guests for services, events, and tours. You can explore the church at your own pace on a self-guided tour or join a docent-led tour that gives you the opportunity to learn more about the cathedral’s history and architecture—the original structure was built in the 1870s, it was mostly destroyed by fire in 1898, and the current cathedral was rebuilt in 1900.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The cathedral is a popular stop on tours of Savannah’s historic district.
- There is no entrance fee but small donations are appreciated.
- To arrange a docent-led tour, call the church in advance or book online.
- The cathedral is wheelchair accessible—use the elevator on the Harris Street side.
How to Get There
Set in the heart of Savannah’s historic district, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is easily accessible on foot, by public transportation, or by car. If driving, take Liberty Street to Abercorn Street. You can also visit on a hop-on hop-off bus or trolley tour—the cathedral is located at stop 6 on the Old Town Trolley tour.
When to Get There
The cathedral hosts both morning and mid-day masses. It is open to tours Monday–Saturday. The church does not allow tours during weddings and funerals.
How to Make the Most of One Day in Savannah’s Historic District With so many important historic sites in Savannah, it can be hard to know where to begin. Luckily, you can let someone else do the leg-work for you by booking a guided city tour or hopping on the Old Town Trolley. Both options ensure you don’t miss any of the historic highlights such as River Street, Madison Square, the Davenport House, and other historic homes, bars, and parks.
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in St Augustine
- Things to do in Gainesville
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Florida
- Andrew Low House
- Reynolds Square
- Beach Institute African American Cultural Center
- Historic Savannah Theatre
- Massie Heritage Center
- Temple Mickve Israel
- Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace
- Owens-Thomas House
- Mercer Williams House Museum
- Sorrel Weed House
- Davenport House Museum
- Telfair Museums Jepson Center
- Olde Pink House
- Telfair Academy
- Gribble House Paranormal Experience