The hot-spring town of Jozankei is the perfect place to escape for a relaxing weekend soaking in the healing waters of myriad natural geothermal baths. This full-featured resort town just an hour outside of Sapporo has about 20 hotels, as well as a variety of restaurants and shops.
In the fall, Jozankei is also a popular base for foliage watchers looking to enjoy the scenery of the changing leaves. The onsens themselves are true volcanic hot springs laden with healing minerals, and during the winter, the nearby Toyohira River mixes with the spring waters, enveloping the town in inviting steam. As with most onsens in Japan, baths are divided into men’s and women’s sections, and bathing is done in the nude. The nearby Jozankei Dam and Sapporo Kokusai Ski Resort are also popular attractions in the area.
Should I book Jozankei tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Jozankei 2021?
What's the best way to experience Jozankei?
- Sapporo / Hokkaido Full-Day Private Tour with Government Licensed Guide
- [Kako and Orie's Women's Trip] Sapporo and Jozankei with local food and healing
- Sapporo / Hokkaido Half-Day Private Tour with Government Licensed Guide
Things to do near Sapporo
- Things to do in Hokkaido
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Chiba
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Saitama Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano Prefecture
- Things to do in Tokyo Prefecture
- Things to do in Chiba Prefecture
- Things to do in Kanto