Top Santa Marta Outdoor Activities
- Trek through the Colombian jungle in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains on a multi-day hiking adventure.
- Discover archaeological wonders such as the “Lost City” of Ciudad Perdida, once inhabited by the Tayrona people.
- Explore the Caribbean coastline’s white-sand beaches and lush rain forest in Tayrona National Park.
- Look out for giant anteaters, white-bellied spider monkeys, and birds such as rusty-headed spinetails and Andean condors.
- Camp out in the jungle or sleep in a hammock beneath the stars.
- The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountain range is located along the northeastern coast of Colombia, less than an hour’s drive from Barranquilla.
- The mountains reach heights of up to 18,942 feet (over 5,700 meters) above sea level, so hikers should be in good fitness and allow time to acclimatize to the high altitude.
- Popular trekking tours such as the Lost City typically leave from Santa Marta and include around four to six days of hiking.
- Hiking may not be possible during the Sierra Nevada’s two rainy seasons, May to June and September to November.
- Most trekking tours include accommodation, meals, and round-trip transportation.
103 results | All Santa Marta Tours
* A traveler said: "The time spent at Bahia Concha. Luckily, it stopped raining (not completely) and we were able to enjoy."
* A traveler said: "A simple itinerary to the beach with a fun and knowledgeable crew. Everything you need to enjoy your day except your suit and sunscreen will be available on the boat or for purchase on the beach. Bring cash for chairs chairs and drink vendors. Hot lunch was a welcome and delicious surprise!"
* A traveler said: "My friends and I had a wonderful tour with Christina and Frederico. Coffee tasting was at local cafe. We went on an easy hike to the waterfall and explored the area with our guides. We also did clay body masks in the river and experienced an amazing connection with Minca. We walked to town and had a good lunch, then went to the Cocoa shop and had some hot chocolate. Our guides then took us to a lookout in the town where my friends and I relaxed and experienced a wonderful time with our guides overall. I would 100% recommend this tour!"
* A traveler said: "It was great. The young man,Juan, met us at baggage claim with a sign. He was a very polite and professiomal driver. He told us about Santa Marta and it's history along the way."
* A traveler said: "Such a great trip from Santa Marta hill-up.. Nick is an awesome and involved person, recommend this for sure!"
* A traveler said: "I rented the boat for a day for just myself and my then-girlfriend. I was planning on proposing and did halfway through the trip. The guys- Charly, Jordan and Raul were fantastic, definitely added to the magic of the day for us. For us, the fact that they seemed to be having a good time on the boat took the pressure of too much attention off us, however the guys were simultaneously attentive and enjoyable. There were also some great activities on the boat and on the guys’ itinerary. We went kayaking, cliff jumping, snorkeling, swimming and learned to drive the small motorboat that hung off the back. Nic was also very helpful, calling ahead of time to nail down specifics, asking how he could make the day special, which resulted in post-proposal sparkling wine and charcuterie. Overall, the guys helped us have one of the most memorable days of our lives."
* A traveler said: "I had such a lovely experience on this hike! One of my favorite things that I've done so far while traveling around South America. The hike is challenging, but so worth it. The company was responsive, very helpful with my dietary needs and my guide Miguel was wonderful. Couldn't recommend this more!"
* A traveler said: "Excellent trip to waterfalls and a beautiful hotel, highly recommended. Great guides, great views, great fun."
* A traveler said: "Really glad. I chose this experience vs. hiking up to Minca on foot. The trail is very steep at some points so to have the extra juice from the e-bike is very helpful. Gabriel was knowledgeable, down to earth and a great guide. We visited two waterfalls, toured a coffee factory and chocolate museum. Definitely recommend."
* A traveler said: "Marinka water falls was my favorite part of the trip. The swimming was fun and our tour guide Andrea was the best. Lunch at a nice restaurant was included and the food was very good. The coffee tour at La Victoria farms was interesting and you get to sample some amazing tasting coffee. This is an all day tour. Be prepared to do a little bit of everything. Some hiking and swimming and traveling off road in a Toyota 4runner to get there . Bring your water shoes, a swimsuit and a backpack with some water and a change of clothes. Make sure you request Andrea as your tour guide. She was very nice and informative. She was the best!!"