Santa Barbara Museum of Art (SBMA)
Straddling the old and new, the Santa Barbara Museum of Art does well to incorporate the many cultures that call the area home, and a visit here is a bit like stepping into a scaled-down version of Manhattan’s Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art. The museum hosts all sorts of programs for kids and adults alike, from after-school and holiday classes to lectures and applied-arts workshops for adults.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is a must-visit for art and photography lovers.
Museum entry is free every Thursday from 5pm to 8pm.
The museum is wheelchair-accessible, and hearing-loop technology is available for hearing aid users.
How to Get There
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is situated smack in the middle of downtown Santa Barbara, on the corner of State Street and East Anapamu Street, right behind the public library. Most downtown buses stop within a block of the museum. From the museum, the mission and the beach are each about a 25-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is a year-round attraction, though it’s at its busiest during summer months and on weekends. It’s open Tuesday–Sunday 11am–5pm and closed on Mondays, June 23, major holidays, and for one day during the annual Old Spanish Days–Fiesta celebrations.
Old Spanish Days (aka Fiesta)
Founded in the mid-1920s, the annual Old Spanish Days (or Fiesta) is an energetic celebration that pays homage to the city’s Spanish colonial history. During the 5-day event, visitors can expect craft markets and dance performances, along with parades, concerts, and special tours of local Spanish-era landmarks.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Santa Barbara County Courthouse
- Leadbetter Beach
- Funk Zone
- Old Mission Santa Barbara
- Stearns Wharf
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Sea Center
- Santa Barbara Cruise Port
- Santa Barbara Waterfront
- Shoreline Park
- Santa Barbara Zoo
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden (SBBG)
- State Street