San Juan Bay
Both forts are UNESCO World Heritage Sites, but visitors can only walk around the outside walls of the San Juan de la Cruz Fort, as the inside is closed to the public. Just south of Isla de Cabras, you’ll find another icon of Puerto Rico overlooking the bay—the Bacardi Rum Visitor Center, where you can take a tour and enjoy a rum tasting. In addition to touring around the perimeter of the bay, you can also take a sunset sail on a catamaran or book a daytime excursion on the water.
Recent reviews from experiences in San Juan
Things to know before you go
*Guided tours that combine a stop at Casa Bacardi with Old San Juan are available. *If headed out on the bay during the day, remember to pack sunscreen. *You can go kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding in San Juan Bay. *On-site rentals are available at the San Juan Bay Marina.
How to get there
Hop the ferry in the port of San Juan for an 8-minute ride across to Cataño. From there, it’s easy to catch a cab to the Bacardi Visitor Center or Isla de Cabras. Sailing tours typically leave from the San Juan Bay Marina, which is about a 20-minute drive from the airport and a 6-minute drive from the cruise ship terminal.
When to get there
During the driest months, from December to early April, expect to encounter the biggest crowds; this is when many tourists head south for winter. Usually in the late summer and fall, you can score the best prices, but this is also hurricane season, so it might be worth purchasing travel insurance if you book then.
- Museum of Art of Puerto Rico (Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico)
- Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center (Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferré)
- La Calle Loiza
- Fine Arts Miramar
- Old San Juan Piers
- Castillo San Cristobal
- La Fortaleza (The Fortress)
- Paseo de la Princesa
- Chapel of Christ (Capilla del Cristo)
- Museum of History, Anthropology and Art (Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte)
- San Juan Cathedral (Catedral de San Juan Bautista)
- Pine Grove Beach
- Old San Juan
- Museum of the Americas (Museo de las Américas)
- San Juan National Historic Site (Sitio Histórico Nacional de San Juan)