Markthal (Market Hall)
Rotterdam’s brand new market hall is more than just a place to shop for produce and grab a bite; it’s an attraction in its own right. It features over 100 food stalls, eight restaurants and 15 shops, all located underneath an imposing horseshoe-shaped structure with glass facades consisting of 4,000 small windows hanged by steel cables – it is, in fact, the largest glass-window cable structure in Europe, and as such, is considered an architectural masterpiece by many experts.
Additionally, the inside of the market is covered by more than 4,000 colorful tiles that give the horseshoe-shaped arch a boost of color, making it the largest artwork in the Netherlands. A 10th-century farm was uncovered seven meters underground during construction of the market, and several foundations and artifacts are now on exhibit throughout the market hall in homage to Rotterdam’s agricultural past.
Ways to experience Markthal (Market Hall)
Browse. Filter. Book
What are Markthal (Market Hall) hours of operation?
What's the best way to experience Markthal (Market Hall) ?
- Private Rotterdam Walking Tour - Guided by Architects
- Group Rotterdam Walking Tour - guided by Architects
- Highlights Rotterdam PRIVE bicycle tour
- Architecture Walk Rotterdam Private Group Tour
Things to do near Rotterdam
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaandam
- Things to do in Antwerp
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Hoorn
- Things to do in Ghent
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in Flanders