Maritime Museum Rotterdam Tours and Activities
The Maritime Museum Rotterdam is one of the world’s oldest and largest museums dedicated to naval history and displays more than three quarters of a million objects from the 15th century to modern times, including photos, models, blueprints, videos and actual ship objects and uniforms.
One of the core displays is the collection of ship models, which formed the core of the museum when it was founded by Prince Henry of the Netherlands in 1874. In addition, the site also contains some actual ships; its open-air Harbour Museum of Rotterdam features historic ships, as well as relics from the old port Leuvehaven, such as cranes, a lighthouse, a tugboat, a locomotor, and a steam-powered grain elevator.
Another important permanent exhibit is Mainport Live, an interactive, multimedia model of the Port of Rotterdam. Here you can not only learn about the history of the port, but also experience the world’s largest and port in miniature. A display of video, lights, sounds and actions brings the bustle of the port to you, while standing in the middle of the old port of yesteryear.
For kids ages 4 through 10, the Professor Splash playground is a fun educational experience. Children can carry out a series of port-related actions that help Professor Splash and his friends prepare for their adventures, while learning about the museum’s collection in the process.
Tours and Activities to Experience Maritime Museum Rotterdam
Frequently Asked Questions
- Rotterdam Self-Guided Tour with Scavenger Hunt
- Tour in Rotterdam combined with professional photo shoot
- Private Self-Guided Pub Trail in Rotterdam with Online App
- Private Self-Guided Walking Tour in Rotterdam
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in North Holland