Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria)
Santa Maria della Vittoria (Saint Mary of Victory) was begun in the early 17th century, designed by Maderno and featuring a facade by Giovanni Battista Soria that is a near replica of Maderno’s nearby church of Santa Susanna, completed in 1603. In addition toThe Ecstasy of Saint Teresa, this relatively small church is decorated with a number of other sculptures by Domenico Guidi and Pierre Etienne Monnot, and paintings by Giovanni Domenico Cerrini, Guercino, Nicolas Lorrain, and Domenichino. The preserved remains of Saint Victoria are displayed inside.
Santa Maria della Vittoria is a popular stop on walking tours of Rome—especially those that focus on works by Bernini and landmarks mentioned in the popular novelAngels & Demons. You can combine a visit with stops at other city highlights like the Colosseum, the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, and the Spanish Steps.
Things to Know Before You Go
Photography without a flash is allowed inside Santa Maria della Vittoria.
Modest attire that covers shoulders and knees is required to enter.
Touring the church during mass is frowned upon.
The church is not accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Santa Maria della Vittoria is located on Via XX Settembre between Piazza della Repubblica and the Termini station, and Villa Borghese. Both of the city's metro lines and many bus routes stop at Termini.
When to Get There
The church can be crowded at peak times of year, especially due to L’Estasi di Santa Teresa being one of Bernini’s most famous sculptures in Italy. Try to visit in the early morning or late afternoon to enjoy this marvelous work in relative peace.
Santa Maria della Vittoria in Literature
Santa Maria della Vittoria was featured in Dan Brown’s bestselling novelAngels & Demons, a follow-up to the smash hitThe Da Vinci Code. The church became a hugely popular tourist destination in Rome after the book was published in 2006 and the film version was released a few years later.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Via Veneto (Via Vittorio Veneto)
- Hard Rock Cafe Rome
- Church of Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Capucchini)
- Capuchin Crypt (Cripta dei Frati Cappuccini)
- Triton Fountain (Fontana del Tritone)
- Barberini Palace (Palazzo Barberini)
- Piazza della Repubblica
- St. Paul's Within the Walls Church (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro le Mura)
- Silvano Toti Globe Theatre
- Rome Opera House (Teatro dell'Opera di Roma)
- Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)
- National Roman Museum (Museo Nazionale Romano)–Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
- Piazza Barberini
- Quirinale Palace (Palazzo del Quirinale)
- Basilica di Sant'Andrea delle Fratte