Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
Many visitors mistake Giuseppe Momo's 1930s staircase for the historic Bramante Staircase, but the original was built more than 400 years earlier and is closed to the general public. Only private groups led by an official Vatican-approved tour guide are authorized to visit the elegant Renaissance staircase.
Some small-group guided tours of the Vatican Museums—among the most popular attractions in Italy—include access to the Bramante Staircase. Book in advance to avoid long ticket and entry lines. Extended tours generally also include stops in the Painting Gallery (Pinacoteca), Gallery of Tapestries, Gallery of Maps, Gallery of the Candelabra, the Sistine Chapel with its frescoes by Michelangelo, and the Raphael Rooms before moving on the St. Peter's Basilica.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rome
Things to Know Before You Go
There is a security check at the entrance to the Vatican Museums, so items like pocket knives, corkscrews, and umbrellas must be left at the coat check.
If your Vatican tour includes entry to the Sistine Chapel, be sure to wear clothing that covers your shoulders and knees.
Vatican tours generally require quite a bit of walking, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
The Bramante Staircase is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Vatican Museums are located adjacent St. Peter's Square in Vatican City. The closest metro station is Ottaviano on Line A.
When to Get There
The museums are most crowded at midday, so opt for a morning (or early-access) tour or plan a visit in the offseason winter months if you prefer a quieter experience.
Visiting the Vatican’s Painting Gallery
Most Vatican Museum tours include a stop in the Painting Gallery, a highlight of the museum complex. Here you can view one of the world's best collections of works by Italian masters such as Giotto, da Vinci, Raphael, and Caravaggio.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Church of Santa Maria della Pace (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pace)
- Stadium of Domitian (Stadio di Domiziano)
- Palazzo Altemps
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone)
- Basilica di Sant'Agostino
- Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana delle Quattro Fiumi)
- Piazza Navona
- Gladiator Museum
- Pamphilj Palace (Palazzo Pamphilj)
- Madama Palace (Palazzo Madama)
- Chiesa Nuova (Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella)
- Church of Saint Louis of the French (Chiesa di San Luigi dei Francesi)
- Welcome to Rome
- Basilica di Sant'Andrea della Valle
- Saint Angelo Bridge Methodist Church (Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo)