Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore)
Expanded and reworked over the centuries, the original nucleus of theBasilica of Santa Maria Maggiore dates from the mid-fifth century. Tour inside to see fifth-century mosaics depicting Old Testament scenes, a reliquary said to contain a piece of baby Jesus' crib, an ancient icon of the Virgin Mary, and the tombs of Saint Jerome and artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Don't miss the Sistine Chapel in Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore, named for Pope Sixtus V.
The basilica's location near Rome’s main Termini train station makes it easy to pair a visit with other top sights in Rome by joining a scooter, Segway, e-bike, or hop-on-hop-off bus tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
You must wear modest attire covering your knees and shoulders to enter the church.
Photography without flash is allowed inside the church.
The basilica is not accessible to wheelchairs and strollers due to a flight of stairs at the entrance.
A visit to theBasilica of Santa Maria Maggiore is a must for those interested in early Christian art and architecture.
How to Get There
The Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore is located on the square of the same name; it's an easy walk from the Termini train station, which is also a bus and metro hub.
When to Get There
If you want to visit Rome without the crowds, come October through April, although prepare for chilly weather. Visit in May or September for warmer weather without the crowds that flock June through August.
Snow … in August?
According to legend, plans for the church—also known as Madonna della Neve (Our Lady of the Snow)—were drawn by Pope Liberius in the snow that miraculously fell on this hilltop on Aug. 5 in the fourth century. Every year on that date, the miracle of the snow is commemorated with a cascade of white petals falling from the ceiling onto the altar, one of the most evocative religious events in Rome.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Seven Hills of Rome (Sette Colli di Roma)
- Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Rome Opera House (Teatro dell'Opera di Roma)
- National Roman Museum (Museo Nazionale Romano)–Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
- Oppian Hill Park (Parco del Colle Oppio)
- Piazza della Repubblica
- Silvano Toti Globe Theatre
- St. Paul's Within the Walls Church (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro le Mura)
- Church of St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli)
- Barberini Palace (Palazzo Barberini)
- Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
- Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria)
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)