Contoy Island (Isla Contoy) Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Just a short boat ride from the tourist-packed beaches of Isla Mujeres and the high rises of Cancun, Contoy Island (Isla Contoy) is an undeveloped natural paradise off the Caribbean Coast of Mexico. Visit this national park to enjoy white-sand beaches and hiking trails and to marvel at the local wildlife.
Contoy Island is a designated protected habitat for marine birds, reef life, caimans, and more. The island only allows a maximum of 200 visitors per day, so the best way to enjoy this tranquil escape is to join one of guided tours that depart from Cancun and Isla Mujeres. These trips offer visitors ample time to snorkel, relax on the beaches, hike, and admire the island’s wildlife. Snorkeling equipment and lunch are usually provided.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Only biodegradable sunscreen is permitted on the island. Cigarettes are also banned.
- Because of the island’s 200-visitors-per-day limit, you’ll need to book your tour at least a month in advance if you plan to visit during the busy season.
- If you want to visit the island on your own (without a tour guide), you must secure a permit.
How to Get There
The easiest way to reach the island is on a tour departing from Cancun or Isla Mujeres. Boat rides typically take one to two hours each way. It is possible to visit the island on your own boat, but to do so, you must obtain a permit in advance.
When to Get There
For the best weather, visit Contoy Island from December to April, which is the area’s high season. If you want to avoid crowds, consider visiting during the late spring or fall instead; the weather is still nice, and there are fewer people competing for limited spots on island trips.
Islands Near Cancun
The tropical island paradises set off the coast of the Riviera Maya are all equally beautiful, but each offers different types of activities: While Contoy Island offers a tranquil day relaxing on pristine beaches and exploring nature, the more popular Isla Mujeres boasts an array of lively bars and shops and is easy to reach via a cheap and quick ferry ride. For something in between—and the best snorkeling and diving—head to Cozumel.
Address: Isla Contoy, 77500, Mexico
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Contoy Island (Isla Contoy)
No results found!
Things to do near Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Isla Holbox
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Petén
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Florida