Charles Bridge (Karluv Most)
Most Prague tours make a stop at the Charles Bridge; although it’s easy to visit independently, tour guides will provide detailed explanations about the statues, which each has its own story. If you’re still craving more information, visit the Charles Bridge Museum on the east bank. Prague river cruises depart from the foot of the Charles Bridge on both sides of the river.
Recent reviews from experiences in Prague
Things to Know Before You Go
The Charles Bridge is a pedestrian-only footbridge—bikes, Segways, and vehicles are prohibited.
Wear comfortable shoes if you plan to explore Prague on foot—the city is full of cobblestone streets and hills.
The bridge is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get to There
The Charles Bridge links the Old Town and Lesser Town over the Vltava River; it’s about a 10-minute walk from Old Town Square or a 15-minute walk from Wenceslas Square. The closest metro station is Staroměstská (Line A) on the east bank of the river, but numerous trams also run along the riverside and stop near the bridge.
When to Get There
It’s almost impossible to avoid the crowds along the Charles Bridge, especially in peak season (July and August), so your best bet is to visit early in the morning or late in the evening. If you’re hoping to capture a dramatic photograph of the bridge, arrive around sunrise, when the lighting is perfect and the views tend to be crowd-free.
A Prague Walking Tour
The Charles Bridge is ideally situated near Prague’s UNESCO-listed historic center. Start your walking tour in the Old Town, where you can watch the hourly display of the Astronomical Clock, stroll around the historic Jewish Quarter, and admire the Tyn Cathedral. Then cross the Charles Bridge into the Lesser Town and stop at the John Lennon Wall before climbing Castle Hill to visit St. Vitus Cathedral and take in the views from Prague Castle.
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Franz Kafka Museum (Muzeum Franze Kafky)
- Bedrich Smetana Museum (Muzeum Bedricha Smetany)
- Old Town Bridge Tower
- St. Francis of Assisi Church (Kostel Sv. Frantiska z Assisi)
- Museum of Medieval Torture
- Kampa Island
- John Lennon Wall
- Ta Fantastika Black Light Theatre
- Clementinum (Klementinum)
- Museum Kampa
- St. Nicholas Church (Kostel Sv. Mikuláse)
- Náprstek Museum of Asian, African and American Cultures
- Czech Museum of Music (Ceske Muzeum Hudby)
- Apple Museum