Porto’s Ribeira is best explored on foot. Visitors can stroll down Cais da Ribeira, the district’s main street, toward Ribeira Square (Praca da Ribeira), a picturesque plaza dominated by two large fountains. Explore on a walking tour with a local guide to learn about the neighborhood’s history and visit popular landmarks such as Ponte de Dom Luis bridge and Elevador da Ribeira. For a more intimate experience, opt for a small-group or private tour. Visit on a full-day tour of Porto to see the Ribeira District and other city highlights such as Arrabida bridge and the Porto Se Cathedral.
Things to Know Before You Go
Ribeira is a must-see for first time visitors to Porto.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
Come hungry; the neighborhood houses some of Porto’s best tascas (traditional restaurants) with spectacular river views.
How to Get There
Ribeira is located in Porto’s southeast section, roughly 10 minutes by road from the city center. The district is easily accessible on foot or by bus.
When to Get There
Ribeira is lively throughout the day and into the evening. For a special treat, visit at dusk and dine along the Douro River as the port wine cellars of Vila Nova de Gaia begin to light up across the water. Visit in spring or fall for fewer crowds, warm weather, and lower prices.
Cruising the Douro
Since Ribeira ranks among Porto’s most photogenic neighborhoods, you’ll definitely want to see it (and snap some pictures) from the water. Short river cruises depart from Ribeira Quay and pass beneath Porto’s six bridges.
- Things to do in Northern Portugal
- Things to do in Braga
- Things to do in Peso Da Regua
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Vigo
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Galicia
- Dom Luis Bridge (Ponte de Dom Luis I)
- Porto Cathedral (Sé Catedral do Porto)
- Porto Calem Wine Cellars
- Palace of the Stock Exchange (Palácio da Bolsa)
- Church of São Francisco (Igreja de São Francisco)
- Museum of Our Lady of Mercy of Porto (Museu da Misericórdia do Porto)
- Liberdade Square (Praça da Liberdade)
- Clérigos Church and Tower (Torre & Igreja dos Clérigos)
- Avenida dos Aliados
- Rua Santa Catarina
- Casa da Música
- Porto Bridge Climb
- Serralves Museum (Fundação de Serralves)
- SEA LIFE® Porto
- Matosinhos Beach