Two days in Oslo allow you a good amount of time to explore the compact city center and its surroundings, as well as get out onto the fjord. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to soak up some history and culture, too.
Oslo Cathedral (Oslo Domkirke)
Stortorvet 1B, Oslo, 0155
Oslo Cathedral is the main church for the Church of Norway Diocese of Oslo. Elements original to its construction include the pulpit, organ front, and altarpiece—a 1748 model ofThe Last Supper and the Crucifixion. Dating from the 1850s, the bazaar halls (Basarhallene) behind the cathedral periodically host markets and cafés. A variety of group and private tours of Oslo—including by bus, foot, and Segway—visit the cathedral as well as the city’s other top sights. Shore excursions generally also stop here. If traveling independently, book ahead for a guided tour of the cathedral.
Great overview of Oslo
I had an enjoyable and informative tour. I was the only person on the tour and the guide was excellent with a comprehensive knowledge of Oslo.
De-Arne C, Nov 2019
Things to Know Before You Go
Oslo Cathedral is a must-visit for history and religious architecture enthusiasts.
Entrance is free.
The cathedral is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Oslo Cathedral is located on Stortorvet Square, just north of Oslo’s main street, Karl Johans Gate. It’s an easy 5-minute walk from Oslo Central Station and a 15-minute walk to the Royal Palace.
When to Get There
Oslo Cathedral is open from 10am to 4pm Saturday through Thursday and 4pm Friday until 6am Saturday. Masses are held on Sunday morning and Wednesday and Friday afternoons.
The Oslo Cathedral is home to a 5-story-tall, 18th-century organ, and it hosts popular organ recitals every Saturday afternoon in summer. You can buy tickets and learn about the musicians on the cathedral’s website.
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Karl Johans Gate
- Port of Oslo (Oslo Havn)
- Akershus Castle (Akershus Slott)
- Oslo National Gallery (Nasjonalgalleriet)
- Oslo City Hall (Radhuset)
- Oslo Opera House (Operahuset)
- Ibsen Museum
- Oslo Royal Palace (Kongelige Slott)
- Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art (Astrup Fearnley Museet)
- Munch Museum (Munchmuseet)
- Vigeland Museum (Vigeland Museet)
- Fram Museum (Frammuseet)
- Kon-Tiki Museum
- Vigeland Sculpture Park (Vigelandsanlegget)