Japan Mint (Osaka Mint Bureau)
The Osaka Mint Bureau is perhaps even better known for the more than 300 cherry trees on its grounds—you can see more than 100 cherry varieties here. During blossom-viewing season (usually mid-April), crowds flock to the site to spend a leisurely afternoon strolling along the pathway, admiring the trees, and having a picnic beneath the pink petals. The Mint Museum is closed during cherry blossom season but the rest of the year, entry to the garden is included with admission.
Even if you don’t have time to visit the museum, you can admire the unique western-style brick building from the outside as part of a walking or cycling tour of Osaka.
Things to know before you go
- The Osaka Mint Bureau is a must-visit for those with an interest in coins and architecture—and is one of the city’s top cherry blossom spots.
- There is no admission fee.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible.
- Museum information panels are all in Japanese
How to get there
The Osaka Mint Bureau is a 10-15 minute walk north of Temmabashi Station on the Tanimachi Subway Line and Keihan Main Line; 15 minutes on foot from Sakuranomiya or Kyobashi station on the Osaka Loop Line, and 10 minutes on foot from Osaka Temmangu station on the JR Tozai Line.
When to get there
The Mint Museum is open from 9am to 4:45pm every day—the last entry is at 4pm. If you want to see the blooming cherry trees, try to arrive as early as possible to get a space to sit down on the grass—the grounds get extremely busy during peak viewing season.
Kema Sakuranomiya Park
Less than a 5-minute walk from the Osaka Mint Bureau, Kema Sakuranomiya Park is a sprawling city park picturesquely set on the banks of the Osaka River. This park is also known for its dense collection of cherry blossom trees that line the banks for 2.4 miles (four kilometers).
- Things to do in Kansai Prefecture
- Things to do in Izumisano
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Osaka Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano Prefecture
- Things to do in Kanagawa Prefecture
- Osaka Castle (Osaka-jo)
- Museum of Oriental Ceramics
- Osaka City Central Hall
- Kids Plaza Osaka
- Osaka Museum of Housing and Living
- Utsubo Park
- Umeda Sky Building
- National Bunraku Theater
- America-Mura (American Village)
- Kuromon Ichiba Market
- Hozenji Yokocho
- Sennichimae Doguyasuji Shopping Street