Polanco is known primarily for its new residential and business developments, as well as its luxe shopping spots and fine-dining restaurants. The district also houses several cultural attractions. The Soumaya Museum (Museo Soumaya) features Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s collection of art, with works by Picasso, Renoir, Dalí, Van Gogh, and others, and the outdoor Angela Peralta Theater hosts music performances and theater productions.
Recent reviews from experiences in Mexico City
Things to Know Before You Go
Avenida Presidente Masaryk, Polanco’s version of Rodeo Drive, is a must-see for shoppers.
Foodies should consider a food tour in Polanco, home to some of Mexico City’s best restaurants.
Valet parking, enforced dress codes, and reservations are common at many of the district’s restaurants.
How to Get There
Polanco is about a 50-minute drive from Mexico City International Airport and a 35-minute ride from the historical center. The closest metro stations are Auditorio (on the edge of Chapultepec Park) and Polanco.
When to Get There
Many businesses and shops close between 2pm and 4pm, and traffic can be heavy around that time. Mexico City’s peak tourist season typically runs from November to May, so it may be more difficult to get a table at Polanco’s popular restaurants then.
The National Museum of Anthropology
Located on the southern edge of the Polanco district, along Paseo de la Reforma, the National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropología) houses the largest collection of ancient Mexican art in the world. On display at Mexico City’s most-visited museum are such notable historical items as the Aztec Stone of the Sun, the giant carved heads of the Olmec people, and the Aztec Xochipilli statue.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Jumex Museum (Museo Jumex)
- Soumaya Museum (Plaza Carso)
- Inbursa Aquarium
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropología)
- Tamayo Museum (Museo Tamayo)
- Chapultepec Park (Bosque de Chapultepec)
- La Feria Chapultepec
- Chapultepec Castle (Castillo de Chapultepec)
- Mexico City Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- Papalote Children's Museum (Papalote Museo del Niño)
- Angel of Independence (Monumento a la Independencia)
- Centro Historico
- Reforma 222
- La Condesa