National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
Ciudad Universitaria is both a hub for students in Mexico City and a cultural attraction in its own right. Dedicate time to visiting the Diego Rivera, David Alfaro Siqueiros, and Juan O’Gorman murals which decorate several of the UNAM buildings, including the Central Library.
Other highlights include the University Museum of Contemporary Art (MUAC), Sculpture Park, and Botanical Garden. Visit Ciudad Universitaria as part of a full day shared or private Mexico City tour which typically incorporate stops at places like Xochimilco, the historic center of Coyoacán, and the Frida Kahlo Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
UNAM is a must-visit for art, architecture, and culture lovers in Mexico City.
There are several on-campus museums, although most are closed on Mondays.
It’s free to visit the UNAM campus grounds.
UNAM’s Mexico City campus may not be entirely accessible for those with wheelchairs or strollers.
How to Get There
UNAM is situated towards the south of Mexico City, in the Coyoacán borough, roughly 9.3 miles (15 kilometers) from the historic center. Easily accessible on public transport, the closest Metrobus station is Ciudad Universitaria. The closest metro station is Copilco (Line 3), which is a 30-minute walk or short taxi ride from UNAM.
When to Get There
The UNAM campus is free to access throughout the year, although it’s best and safest to visit during the day. In late October and early November, UNAM is known for hosting spectacular displays for Day of the Dead. Most of the on-site museums are closed on Mondays.
Other Attractions in Coyoacán
UNAM is one of the biggest draws of the Coyoacán borough for fans of art and architecture, but the area has much more to offer eager travelers. Visit the popular Frida Kahlo Museum—buying admission tickets in advance is recommended—learn about the legacy of Leon Trotsky at the Leon Trotsky Museum, and browse for souvenirs and snacks at the Coyoacán Market.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Bazaar Sábado (Saturday Market)
- Museum of El Carmen (Museo de El Carmen)
- San Ángel
- University Museum of Contemporary Art (MUAC)
- Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo Studio-Museum
- Plaza Garibaldi
- San Juan Bautista Church (Parroquia San Juan Bautista)
- Frida Kahlo Museum (Museo Frida Kahlo)
- Leon Trotsky Museum (Museo Leon Trotsky)
- KidZania Cuicuilco
- Anahuacalli Museum (Museo Anahuacalli)
- Six Flags Mexico
- Azteca Stadium (Estadio Azteca)
- Bellini Revolving Restaurant (Bellini Restaurante Giratorio)