La Profesa (Temple of San Felipe Neri)
Originally a Jesuit church, La Profesa is considered one of Mexico City’s most influential buildings in terms of both art and architecture. On many guided tours in downtown Mexico City, visitors can marvel over Manuel Tolsá’s neoclassical altar and statues depicting the Virgin Mary within the church itself.
However, much of La Profesa’s appeal lies in the Pinacoteca de la Profesa art gallery, which can be visited independently or as a part of a guided tour. Inaugurated in 1977, the Pinacoteca contains artworks by artists such as José de Alcíbar, Juan Correa, and Miguel Cabrera which date from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.
Things to Know Before You Go
Art and architecture fans won’t want to miss the chance to explore La Profesa.
The Temple of San Felipe Neri houses an art gallery known as the Pinacoteca de la Profesa.
La Profesa and the Pinacoteca are free to enter.
La Profesa may not be fully wheelchair or stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Situated in the heart of Mexico City’s historic center, La Profesa is easy to reach either on foot or by public transit. The metro stations Allende, Bellas Artes, and Zócalo (all Line 1) are situated a few blocks from La Profesa. Travelers can also reach the Temple of San Felipe Neri by private vehicle.
When to Get There
La Profesa is typically open daily from 8am to 6pm, while the Pinacoteca de la Profesa art gallery is open for guided tours on Saturdays from 12pm to 2pm. Travelers can visit the art gallery independently outside of those hours.
La Pinacoteca de la Profesa
La Pinacoteca de la Profesa is home to hundreds of artworks which span the 17th to 19th centuries. Across several exhibition halls, look out for pieces by Cristóbal de Villalpando and Miguel Carrera, as well as a depiction of the Pentecost by Baltasar de Echave Orio, one of the gallery’s oldest and most valuable pieces.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Mexico City Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- National Museum of Art (Museo Nacional de Arte)
- Plaza de la Constitución (Zocalo)
- Palace of Fine Arts (Palacio de Bellas Artes)
- National Palace (Palacio Nacional)
- Diego Rivera Mural Museum (Museo Mural Diego Rivera)
- Museo del Templo Mayor (Templo Mayor Museum)
- Franz Mayer Museum (Museo Franz Mayer)
- Museum of Tequila and Mezcal (Museo del Tequila y el Mezcal)
- Memory and Tolerance Museum (Museo Memoria y Tolerancia)
- San Juan Market (Mercado de San Juan)
- Mexico City Popular Art Museum (Museo de Arte Popular)
- La Lagunilla Market (Mercado Lagunilla)
- Mercado de Artesanias La Ciudadela (Ciudadela Artisan Market)
- La Merced Market