Anahuacalli Museum (Museo Anahuacalli)
Anahuacalli Museum offers a wide-ranging collection of pre-Hispanic artwork and artifacts in Mexico City. Peruse the art, take in the panoramic views from the terrace, and explore its Ecological Space, filled with local flora and fauna on a guided tour. Many full- and multi-day cultural tours include a stop at Anahuacalli Museum, especially those with a Frida Kahlo focus, which typically stop at popular attractions including Xochimilco, Frida Kahlo Museum, and Dolores Olmedo Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
Museo Anahuacalli is a must for art and history enthusiasts in Mexico City.
Tours of Anahuacalli Museum’s Ecological Space are offered at set times each weekend.
Tours of the museum itself run throughout the day and last around 45 minutes.
Children aged 6 and under enter for free.
Due to the nature of its design, Anahuacalli Museum is not wheelchair or stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Anahuacalli Museum is located in Coyoacán, around 8.3 miles (13.5 kilometers) from Mexico City’s historic center. Many travelers find it easiest to arrive by private vehicle. Tours that include a stop at Museo Anahuacalli typically provide round-trip transportation for ease.
When to Get There
Anahuacalli Museum opens from late morning to early evening from Tuesday to Sunday. Guided tours are offered throughout the day, with each one typically lasting around 45 minutes. Many visitors stop by after visiting the Frida Kahlo Museum in the morning, so arrive early for a quieter experience.
Diego Rivera’s Mexico City
Diego Rivera was a leader of the Mexican muralism movement and husband of Frida Kahlo. After viewing his private collection of pre-Hispanic pieces at Anahuacalli Museum, marvel over some of his most influential murals at the National Palace, Palace of Fine Arts, and Diego Rivera Mural Museum, all situated in Mexico City’s historic center.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Azteca Stadium (Estadio Azteca)
- Plaza Garibaldi
- San Juan Bautista Church (Parroquia San Juan Bautista)
- Frida Kahlo Museum (Museo Frida Kahlo)
- Leon Trotsky Museum (Museo Leon Trotsky)
- University Museum of Contemporary Art (MUAC)
- National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
- KidZania Cuicuilco
- Museum of El Carmen (Museo de El Carmen)
- Bazaar Sábado (Saturday Market)
- San Ángel
- Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo Studio-Museum
- Dolores Olmedo Museum (Museo Dolores Olmedo)
- Six Flags Mexico