Beloved by locals and visitors alike, Coyoacán’s historic center (aka Villa Coyoacán) is easy to explore on foot in as little as half a day. Stroll the cobblestone streets before relaxing in one of the many pretty plazas; take a walking tour to learn about the pre-Hispanic and colonial history of the district; or uncover Frida Kahlo’s artistic legacy.
Alternatively, combine a visit to Coyoacán with stops in Xochimilco, University City, or Teotihuacán. And don’t miss the trio of popular house-museums, once occupied by Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Leon Trotsky, respectively.
Recent reviews from experiences in Mexico City
Things to Know Before You Go
Coyoacán’s charming historic center is a good destination for families.
Many museums in Coyoacán are closed on Mondays.
Much of Coyoacán is inaccessible to wheelchairs, due to the cobblestone streets and narrow, uneven sidewalks.
How to Get There
Coyoacán is well connected via public transit and easy to reach independently. Take Line 3 of the metro to Viveros/ Derechos Humanos station or Coyoacán station, then walk or take a taxi about 1.2 miles (2 kilometers) to the historic center. Taxis to Coyoacán are affordable from most points in the city.
When to Get There
To experience Coyoacán at its bustling best, go on a Sunday when locals and travelers mingle in the central plazas. For a quieter visit, stop by midweek and make the most of the neighborhood’s trademark tranquility. Coyoacán is especially busy during the Easter and Christmas periods.
Explore Frida Kahlo’s Coyoacán
Perhaps Coyoacán’s most well-known former resident, Frida Kahlo was born and raised in the district, and died there too. Wander around La Casa Azul and the Frida Kahlo Museum—the artist’s former home—before lunching on tostadas at Coyoacán Market. Finally, snap a photo with Frida at the Casa de Cultura Jesús Reyes Heroles. For more insight into Frida’s life and work, opt for a Frida-themed tour of the area.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Anahuacalli Museum (Museo Anahuacalli)
- Azteca Stadium (Estadio Azteca)
- Plaza Garibaldi
- San Juan Bautista Church (Parroquia San Juan Bautista)
- Frida Kahlo Museum (Museo Frida Kahlo)
- Leon Trotsky Museum (Museo Leon Trotsky)
- University Museum of Contemporary Art (MUAC)
- National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM)
- KidZania Cuicuilco
- Museum of El Carmen (Museo de El Carmen)
- Bazaar Sábado (Saturday Market)
- San Ángel
- Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo Studio-Museum
- Dolores Olmedo Museum (Museo Dolores Olmedo)
- Six Flags Mexico