Museo Fernando García Ponce (MACAY Museum)
Also known as the Museo Fernando García Ponce, the MACAY Museum is a must for art lovers in Mérida. Highlights include permanent collections of Yucatecan artists—Fernando Castro Pacheco, Gabriel Ramírez Aznar, and the eponymous Fernando García Ponce—while the 15 temporary exhibitions of predominantly Mexican artworks are renewed every three months. Take a self-guided tour, explore alongside one of the onsite guides—tours are offered in English and Spanish—or admire the exterior of the building during a city walking tour. Some food tours even offer brief visits to the MACAY Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Fans of contemporary art won’t want to miss the MACAY Museum.
- Admission to the MACAY Museum is free.
- Guided visits are available in both English and Spanish.
- There’s an onsite art book library, café, and gift shop.
- The MACAY Museum is fully wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
The MACAY Museum is situated on the east side of Mérida’s Plaza Grande, next to the San Ildefonso Cathedral. Most visitors staying in the historic downtown of Mérida find it easiest to arrive on foot, especially as street side parking in the surrounding area is limited.
When to Get There
The MACAY Museum is open from Wednesday through Sunday, between 10am and 6pm. Admission is always free, so this museum is especially busy on weekends. Visit midweek to take advantage of the MACAY Museum during a quieter period.
Who is Fernando García Ponce?
Born in Mérida to a Spanish father and Mexican mother in 1933, Fernando García Ponce went on to study architecture in Mexico City before turning his hand to abstract art. He was part of the Generación de la Ruptura (The Breakaway Generation) and both his paintings and collages were heavily influenced by cubism. Many of his works use vast canvases, thick paint, and varying textures.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands