Palmilla Beach (Playa Palmilla)
A long stretch of sand ensures there is usually plenty of room to spread out on Palmilla Beach, which is sandwiched between turquoise water and a line of resorts. Unlike popular Playa de Amor, you don’t need a boat to get here, making this a popular option for independent travelers. The top activities here take advantage of all that calm, clear water: Think paddle boarding, swimming, snorkeling, and sand-castle building for visitors of all ages.
Things to know before you go
- Lifeguards are on duty at Palmilla Beach, which earns a “Blue Flag” rating for sustainability.
- Umbrellas, paddleboards, and kayaks can be rented on the beach.
- Ample parking is available on-site.
How to get there
Playa Palmilla is located in the community of Palmilla, between San José del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. Follow the main road towards the One & Only Palmilla Hotel, and look for a parking lot on the left. Playa Palmilla is 4.3 miles (7 km.) from San José del Cabo, and 16.7 miles (27 km.) from Cabo San Lucas.
When to get there
Since this popular beach gets busy towards mid-day, arriving before 10am is the best way to ensure a prime sunbathing spot. (The limited fixed palapas get snatched up first thing.) If you’re looking for the best light for photography, try sunrise, as the East-facing beach catches some of the day’s first rays.
Snorkeling at Palmilla Beach
With the chance to snorkel right of the beach, Palmilla Beach has bright tropical fish, a small reef, and protected water. Angel fish, puffer fish, and eels tend to cluster near the rocks, so take care when swimming nearby, especially on windy or wavy days. Snorkels, masks, and fins can be rented on-site.
- Palmilla Golf Club
- San Jose del Cabo
- San Jose Estuary (Estero San José)
- San Jose del Cabo Church (Parroquia San José)
- Cuadra San Francisco
- Santa Maria Beach (Playa Santa María)
- Arch of Cabo San Lucas (El Arco)
- Lover's Beach (Playa del Amor)
- Pelican Rock
- Land's End
- Medano Beach (Playa Médano)
- Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port
- Sand Falls
- Bay of Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas