Angels Flight Railway
Technically a funicular, the Angel’s Flight Railway links Grand Central Market with California Plaza, saving pedestrians a walk up a steep flight of stairs. Since the stairs parallel the tracks, it’s possible to walk one way and ride the other. Some history tours and film-location tours of Los Angeles visit Angel’s Flight, and the railway is also a favorite stop on downtown walking tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
This is a great destination for photographers. Take the stairs to snap rail cars and track in profile.
Wheelchair users can board Angel’s Flight Railway at the Upper Station for a round-trip ride.
Bring a Los Angeles Transit Access Pass (TAP Card) if you have one, since the passes can be used for a 50% discount.
How to Get There
The Upper Station is located at 350 South Grand Avenue on California Plaza, while the lower station can be found at 351 South Hill Street. The closest metro station is Pershing Square, with service from the Metro Purple Line and Metro Red Line.
When to Get There
Angel’s Flight Railway is open daily, and long lines are uncommon no matter when you decide to visit. If you’re planning to check out nearby Grand Central Market at the same time, keep in mind that the market’s hours vary by day.
Where to Eat at Grand Central Market
A short distance from the Lower Station of Angel’s Flight Railway, Grand Central Market is home to some of Los Angeles’ most beloved food vendors. There’s a lot to choose from, but favorites include Thai food at Sticky Rice, Mexican cuisine at Tacos Tumbras a Tomas, baked goods from Clark Street Bread, and breakfast sandwiches from Eggslut.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA Grand Avenue)
- Bradbury Building
- OUE Skyspace Los Angeles
- Walt Disney® Concert Hall
- Orpheum Theater
- Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
- Los Angeles Broadway Theater District
- Historic Core
- Japanese American National Museum
- LA Fashion District
- Grammy Museum
- LA Live
- Union Station
- Olvera Street
- Staples Center