A canal cruise is one of the best ways to view historic Old Town Ljubljana. Options include city sightseeing cruises, evening lights tours, and romance-themed cruises complete with a Champagne toast. Tours may also include a walking tour of top city sights and a trip to Ljubljana Castle. You can also rent a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard and explore the river on your own.
Things to know before you go
- This is a must for first time travelers to Ljubljana.
- Photograph Ljubljana’s famous bridges and colorful architecture from the river.
- Ljubljanica River tours require stepping into and out of a boat so they are not wheelchair accessible.
How to get there
The Ljubljanica River is located right in the center of Old Town Ljubljana. You’ll eventually run into the river since it flows right through the historic city center and the main tourist sights. Old Town Ljubljana is a pedestrian-only area but a tourist train provides hop-on hop-off access to all the main sights.
When to get there
The Ljubljanica River is a delight to visit any time of year and boat tours are available year-round. With reliable weather and street markets and festivals galore, summer is by far the most popular season to visit. Tours may be limited during the winter months but special Advent-themed boat tours are available during the holiday season.
The Ljubljanica Dragon Bridge
Adorned with a pair of slightly intimidating bronze dragons–the symbol of Ljubljana–at both ends and 16 smaller ones decorating its span, the Dragon Bridge connects the modern part of Ljubljana with the Old Town across the Ljubljanica. One of the most photographed landmarks in the city, the bridge is adored by tourists and locals alike.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Museum of Illusions
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Ljubljana Castle Funicular
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)
- Dragon Bridge