Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle (Maison Natale de Charles de Gaulle)
Charles de Gaulle was born on November 22, 1890, at his maternal grandparents' house on rue Princesse in Vieux-Lille (Lille’s Old Town). A frequent family gathering place and now a Historic Monument, the house is one of Lille’s key attractions. Enter the 19th-century landmark to see its heritage architecture, period furnishings, and de Gaulle family artifacts. Visit as part of a larger tour of Lille, or take advantage of entry via the discount Lille City Pass.
Things to Know Before You Go
Audio guides are included with the cost of admission.
There is no parking in front of the museum, although nearby parking is available at the Esplanade or Belgian People's Avenue areas.
Due to its heritage architecture, the museum is not fully accessible to wheelchair users or those with limited mobility.
How to Get There
The Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle can be reached by numerous Lille bus lines, including the 1, 10, 14, and 56, as well as the Vieux-Lille shuttle. It’s also easily accessible by foot, bike, and taxi.
When to Get There
The Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle is open Wednesday–Saturday, from midmorning until early evening, with a long break for lunch, and on Sunday afternoons. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions and special events throughout the year, so it’s worth making repeat visits.
The Fabrique d'Histoire
Charles de Gaulle came from a family of textile workers, and his grandparents owned a tulle factory adjacent to the home. Today, the Fabrique d’Histoire—History Factory—is included in the museum complex, and is used as a cultural and research center.
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Lille Old Town (Vieux Lille)
- Hospice Comtesse Museum (Musée de l'Hospice Comtesse)
- Grand Place
- Lille Museum of Fine Arts (Palais des Beaux Arts de Lille)
- Lille Métropole Museum of Modern, Contemporary and Outsider Art (LAM)
- Birthplace of Charles de Gaulle (Maison Natale de Charles de Gaulle)
- Lille Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille)