Comprised of 99 islands (five more at low tide) on Malaysia’s western coast, Langkawi is the postcard image of a tropical paradise. With Langkawi Island as a base, travelers come from around the globe to explore the archipelago. These are some of your best island-hopping options.
Mahsuri's Tomb (Makam Mahsuri)
Jalan Makam Mahsuri, Langkawi
There is a charge to enter Mahsuri’s Tomb and the Kota Mahsuri complex, which are typically visited as a stop on a tour of Langkawi’s interior or historic Langkawi, or as an optional stop on a private tour. Visits generally include a look at the tomb, which is, in the Muslim style, flat and plain, and some time in the museum and traditional house. A guide can communicate Langkawi’s genuine belief in the Mahsuri legend.
Things to Know Before You Go
Mahsuri’s Tomb will be of interest to travelers with a fondness for folklore.
Kota Mahsuri is not a religious site and there’s no body in the tomb, so there’s no need to consider a dress code.
Though flat, the complex has only partial wheelchair access.
How to Get There
Mahsuri’s Tomb stands in the village of Mawat, Mahsuri’s original home, around 8 miles (12 kilometers) west of the Langkawi capital of Kuah. It’s inland with no public transport, so many travelers prefer the convenience of an organized door-to-door tour or private driver/guide over the hassles of driving.
When to Get There
Kota Mahsuri is open from morning until early evening seven days a week. It’s not a routine stop for coach trips or on Langkawi tours, so, even in peak season, it’s rarely very busy. Fridays and Saturdays see cultural performances that retell the story of Mahsuri with colorful costumes.
According to legend, Mahsuri was a young woman wrongly accused of adultery and killed around 200 years ago. As she died, she put a curse on Langkawi, threatening seven generations of bad luck. Islanders believe it was the lifting of this curse that produced Langkawi’s success as a tourist destination and celebrate her for that reason.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Mahsuri's Tomb (Makam Mahsuri)?
What else should I know about attractions in Langkawi?
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Ko Yao Yai
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Tanjung Rhu
- Atma Alam Batik Art Village
- Eagle Square (Dataran Lang)
- Mt. Machinchang (Gunung Mat Chinchang)
- Pulau Payar Marine Park
- Underwater World Langkawi
- Lagenda Park (Taman Lagenda)
- Rice Museum (Laman Padi Langkawi)
- Langkawi Craft Complex (Kompleks Kraf Langkawi)
- Galeria Perdana
- Dayang Bunting Island (Pulau Dayang Bunting)
- Crocodile Adventureland Langkawi (Langkawi Crocodile Farm)
- Seven Wells Waterfall (Telaga Tujuh Waterfall)
- Oriental Village Langkawi
- Langkawi Cable Car (Langkawi SkyCab)